Partner with Families
Parents have been active in all phases of the school, from its founding to its governance. The Parent Council is an organization made up of North Star Parents. Each fall parents at each school elect their Parent Council officers.
We know that the choice you made in coming here is a precious one and we want to make sure that you have a full understanding of the school’s expectations. In order for students to learn and grow, it is essential that we all play a role.
Uncommon Collegiate Charter High School students, parents, teachers, and administration all have responsibilities to promote student learning and growth. Uncommon Collegiate frequently communicates with parents and families, through phone calls, bi-weekly progress reports, and report card conferences. Uncommon Collegiate has a Family Involvement Committee, and hosts workshops for families to help support learning at home. In addition, Uncommon Collegiate teachers and staff love seeing parents and families at all of our school events. The Family Accountability Contract outlines what students, teachers, families, and the school leaders must do to ensure student success. This contract describes important responsibilities and school expectations that families must understand and accept once they have made the choice to apply to and enroll at our school.
- I will ensure that my child comes to school every day on time to begin school at 7:45 AM.
- I understand that if my child is absent more than 10 days of the school year, he or she will have to repeat his or her current grade.
- I will make sure that my child promptly makes up missed work following absences.
- I understand that an absence is excused if I have contacted the school and written a detailed note regarding student illness, family emergency, or religious observance.
- I understand that my child will not earn credit for work missed after unexcused absences, including but not limited to: family vacations, participation at sports tournaments, and attendance at entertainment events.
- I understand that dismissal is at 3:45 PM, but my child may be required to stay until 5:30 PM a) if his or her homework is incomplete and he or she has earned Detention or b) he or she is required to stay for afterschool tutoring.
- I agree to make alternative transportation plans if my child is not dismissed until 5:30 PM.
- I understand that my child will not be permitted to enter the building before 7:15 AM and will report to an assigned “before-school” area before 7:45 AM.
Code of Conduct
- I agree to promote and support the rules of behavior as outlined in the school's Student Handbook, and accept responsibility as a partner in my child's learning.
- I understand that my child will be required to stay for at least one hour in Detention if he or she commits a detention-level infraction.
- I understand that it is my child's responsibility to notify me if he or she earns a Detention.
- I understand that my child will be suspended if he or she misses Detention.
- I will come to school for a meeting if my child is suspended, and I understand that my child will not be allowed to return to class until after this meeting occurs.
- I understand that my child needs to pass all 5 core academic classes in order to be promoted to the next grade.
- I understand that my child will be automatically retained if he or she fails 2 or more core academic classes.
- I understand that my child must pass a minimum competency exam in order to be promoted.
- I will ensure that my child attends Saturday School if required by the school, if he or she is failing one or more classes as of the first progress report, or if he or she is failing one or more classes for the year on any subsequent progress report or report card.
- I understand that my child may be required to stay for afterschool extra help or tutoring, and that he or she is urged to take advantage of extra help opportunities provided by teachers even when not required.
Student Dress Policy
- I will ensure that my child comes to school in proper dress, according to the guidelines listed in the Student Handbook.
- I understand that if my child comes to school out of uniform, he or she may not be permitted to attend class, may need to wait for the appropriate dress to be brought in from home, and/or may receive an automatic detention.
- I will ensure that my child comes to school with a nutritious breakfast and lunch every day, or I will make arrangements for him or her to have the school breakfast and/or lunch.
- I agree not to send soda to school with my child since students are not allowed to drink soda at school.
- I agree to support my child's academic work by communicating regularly with my child's teachers and advisor, by scheduling appointments to talk with them as needed, and by attending all Family-Teacher Conferences.
- I agree to attend family meetings and other school-sponsored events on a regular basis.
- I agree to volunteer at least once during the school year.